Sean Kenyon of Williams & Graham is not shy about sharing his thoughts and opinions on the bar scene and the restaurant industry. The third generation bartender whose most recent accolades include being a finalist in the American Bartender of the Year at Tales of the Cocktail occasionally contributes to Cafe Society and recently wrote an On The House piece for Eater Denver.
Last night, on his personal Facebook page, Kenyon wrote 25 things about himself. Most of these were unlike anything you've heard from him before. Kenyon was receptive to Eater's request to share his quirks and little-known-facts ranging from a hatred for carrots, his dancing inability, and his preference for heavy music. So here they are: 25 things about barman Sean Kenyon.
1. I don't have a joint in either of my big toes. I was born without them.
2. I despise carrots and most other orange vegetables.
3. I could eat pizza for every meal.
4. I can't be beat playing Ms. Pac Man. I once beat Lawrence Taylor, Hall of Fame NY Giants linebacker, when I was about 13....badly.
5. I'm a 3rd generation bartender.
6. Bob Mould (from Husker Du and Sugar) is following me. I moved to Hoboken, a month later he moved to Hoboken. I moved to Austin, 2 weeks later he moved to Austin. Three weeks after I moved to Denver, he played a show here, but he didn't stay. I finally think I lost him.
7. I ran a Marathon a couple of years ago. It was the hardest thing I've ever done.
8. I am addicted to playing Scrabble online.
9. I listen to heavy music through headphones before I spar. Once, right before I stepped into the ring, my music changed from Slayer to Milli Vanilli's Blame It On The Rain. I had made an 80's mix for a party and it was still on my iPod. As a result, I had one of my best sparring sessions ever.
10. Played bass in punk rock bands for years in my teens and early twenties.
11. I want to learn Italian.
12. The Misfits (not the "new" Misfits) are my favorite band ever. Followed closely by Black Sabbath (with Ozzy)
13. My closest friends live in other cities.
14. If I have a choice, I will NEVER go back to Atlanta. That town sucks.
15. My dogs prefer my wife to me.
16. I managed a strip club for 8 1/2 years.
17. I was a prolific shoplifter when I was in my early teens. I stole cigarettes and sold them at school.
18. I've never smoked cigarettes.
19. I had a rat tail in high school, one of my high school friends ceremoniously cut it off before graduation and she mailed it to me last year. it looks gross.
20. I once beat up a couple of guys while wearing Playtex living gloves, baby blue ones.
21. I can't dance.
22. A month before I met my (very patient) wife, I swore to my friends and parents that I would be single for life.
23. I know way too much 80's movie and sitcom trivia. I need that space in my head back.
24. I was born and raised in New Jersey and I'm proud of it.
25. I ran over a guys severed arm on Rt. 3 in NJ once, he was already dead. He died trying to cross Rt. 3 to go the the liquor store, I was the 6 or 7th car to hit him according to the newspaper the first 5 stopped. (another car and I did not). I forget his last name, but he was staying at the Holiday Motor Inn and his name was Roman. Roman Holiday?
· Sean Kenyon on Who Teaches Your Bartenders Their Craft [EDen]
· Eater Scenes: Williams & Graham on a Friday Night [EDen]
Sean Kenyon at Williams & Graham [Photo: Adam Larkey]