Dave Query. [Photo: Restaurant Owners Uncorked Video].
For the rest of the month, we continue to spread a different kind of love: the love for our local restaurants and chefs. Early February, restaurant critic Stacey Brugeman of 5280 Magazine launched the month-long pay-it-forward love series with praises for chef Mary Nguyen and her new café, Olive & Finch. Nguyen spoke of Mark Dym of Marco's Coal Fired Pizza who praised chef Troy Guard's TAG who then shared his love for chef Jeff Osaka of Twelve. Osaka praised Beast + Bottle' Paul Reilly who talked up Bob Blair of Fuel Cafe who wrote a heartfelt note about Potager's Teri Rippeto. The chef and owner of the 17 year old Cap Hill restaurant continued the series with praises for Rob and Karin Lawler of the Truffle Cheese Shop and the Truffle Table . They expressed gratitude for the friendship of chef Brian Laird who talked about his former sous chef, Darrell Truett of Barolo Grill. Truett shared his thoughts on Alex Seidel of Fruition who passed along the love to Keegan Gerhard of D Bar. When it was his turn, Gerhard wrote about chef Jamey Fader who is now recognizing his mentor, boss, and friend, Dave Query.
For almost two decades I have been abundantly aware of the iconic nature of Dave Query, my boss, partner and hetero life mate. This is a chef who is, at all times, himself and defines what it means to be comfortable in one's own skin from moment to moment, all day long, day in and day out. That level of comfort and confidence allows Q to not only do great things, but to inspire others to do the same and more. While most know Dave as a restaurateur, I know him as a chef of boundless talent, intelligence and craft. A friend and mentor, Dave gives like very few people I have met. His family, employees, community and sphere of influence all know of Q's great generosity that is limitless in its scope. Mr. Query is the real deal. Courageous with concept, clear in his vision and direct with his words, this is a man who has never said sorry and has never needed to. From him, I have learned to make food for our guests, not for my ego. I have witnessed the power of not dumbing down dishes, but making them approachable to all. Most importantly, I've learned from this great chef the importance of taking what you do very seriously, but not yourself. I love me some Query....and while he may not be putting food on plates every night, he can still hop on that bike at any time and trip the lights fantastic.
Every day, the recipient of the praises will have a chance to pass the love around. Come back on Monday to hear what Query is obsessing over this month.
· February Love: Restaurant Critic Stacey Brugeman on Olive & Finch [EDen]
· Chef Mary Nguyen on Marco's Coal Fired Pizza [EDen]
· February Is For Lovers: Chef Mark Dym on TAG [EDen]
· Chef Troy Guard on Twelve Restaurant and Jeff Osaka [EDen]
· February Is For Lovers: Chef Jeff Osaka on Beast +Bottle [EDen]
· Paul Reilly of Beast + Bottle on Fuel Cafe's Bob Blair [EDen]
· Bob Blair of Fuel Cafe on Potager's Chef and Owner Teri Rippeto [EDen]
· Potager's Teri Rippeto on Rob and Karin Lawler of the Truffle [EDen]
· Karin Lawler of the Truffle Table on Brian Laird of Sarto's [EDen]
· Brian Laird of the Upcoming Sarto's on Darrel Truett of Barolo Grill [EDen]
· Alex Seidel of Fruition on Keegan Gerhard of D Bar [EDen]
· Keegan Gerhard of D Bar on Chef Jamey Fader [EDen]