In the summer of 2012, the Denver Post awarded a Nadia Comanici-worthy score to the Squeaky Bean: a perfect four stars. Less than two years later, reviewer Bill Porter revisited the restaurant now helmed by chef Theo Adley with different (two stars) but promising results.
The LoDo restaurant simplified its contemporary American menu originally created by chef Max MacKissock. Some fun was brought to the food and some ambitious culinary pursuits remain obvious. Among the most successful new dishes are the Spaghetti Eastern (black squid-ink noodles tossed with plump whole shrimp, garlic, pea shoots and chile-flecked bread crumbs), the pork meatball dubbed Oink in a Can, and the fried chicken, likely the best fried chicken money can buy in Denver.
· The Squeaky Bean: New Menu, New Outlook [DP]
· The Squeaky Bean: New Menu, Fresh Farmland, a Bigger Bar [EDen]
· Mass Exodus at the Squeaky Bean: Chef Max MacKissock Leaves [EDen]
· Squeaky Bean Bar Shake Up: Sean Kenyon and Nick Touch Out [EDen]
· Original Squeaky Bean Review; Summer 2012 [DP]