Throughout February, Eater ran a series of pay-it-forward notes of appreciation from peer to peer in Denver's food industry. The Spread The Love posts were launched by 5280 Magazine restaurant critic Stacey Brugeman who praised chef Mary Nguyen of Olive & Finch. From that post forward, fifteen other posts followed recognizing just as many chefs and restaurateurs.
In March, Spread the Love became a monthly series and the last of those receiving the praise, chef Mike Wiest, spoke of Matt Vawter of Fruition. Vawter applauded chef Lon Symensma of ChoLon. Today, it is Symensma's turn to praise a peer: Dana Rodriguez of Work & Class.
Since moving to Denver four years ago, I've been fortunate to watch Denver's dining scene flourish. All of the incredible, creative talents in Denver right now make it difficult to applaud only one chef. Although we haven't known each other for long, I think Dana "Loca" Rodriguez is doing an exceptional job at Work & Class.
Loca has been working for years in some of Denver's best restaurants and you can definitely see this experience represented in her food. After meeting in January at a Broncos game, I was drawn to her cheerful and effervescent personality which is evident in her cozy dining room as she interacts with her guests. Loca's bold, Latin flavors, exceptional service and modest prices have created a new dining staple in Denver. The Peppers Five Ways, roasted goat and the blue corn empanadas were a few of the dishes we had that we're still raving about!
I'm really looking forward to dining there again, and since there tends to be a line out the door on most nights, hopefully I can get a seat! Maybe I'll be able to bribe her...a table for Broncos tickets?
Come back in June to read chef Rodriguez's nod to another local chef.
· February Love: Restaurant Critic Stacey Brugeman on Olive & Finch [EDen]
· Chef Mary Nguyen on Marco's Coal Fired Pizza [EDen]
· February Is For Lovers: Chef Mark Dym on TAG [EDen]
· Chef Troy Guard on Twelve Restaurant and Jeff Osaka [EDen]
· Chef Jeff Osaka on Beast +Bottle [EDen]
· Paul Reilly of Beast + Bottle on Fuel Cafe's Bob Blair [EDen]
· Bob Blair of Fuel Cafe on Potager's Chef and Owner Teri Rippeto [EDen]
· Potager's Teri Rippeto on Rob and Karin Lawler of the Truffle [EDen]
· Karin Lawler of the Truffle Table on Brian Laird of Sarto's [EDen]
· Brian Laird of the Upcoming Sarto's on Darrel Truett of Barolo Grill [EDen]
· Alex Seidel of Fruition on Keegan Gerhard of D Bar [EDen]
· Keegan Gerhard of D Bar on Chef Jamey Fader [EDen]
· Chef Jamey Fader on Dave Query of the Big Red F Group [EDen]
· Dave Query of the Big Red F on Restaurateur Cliff Young [EDen]
· Longtime Denver Restaurateur Cliff Young Talks About Chef Mike Weist
· Matt Vawter Will Make the Cover of Food & Wine [EDen]
· Chef Matt Vawter Talks About Lon Symensma [EDen]