Early morning on Sunday April 2, a man died in the lobby at Voodoo Doughnut Mile High after taking on a doughnut speed eating challenge, 9News reported. The 42-year-old was later identified as Travis Malouff and the Denver Office of the Medical Examiner announced on Monday that he died from "asphyxia, due to obstruction of the airway."
Malouff was in the middle of a challenge that involved eating a half-pound doughnut in 80 seconds or less when he started choking. Witnesses said that two people rushed to help him but they were not able to perform the Heimlich maneuver to save his life. The Portland-born doughnut shop share that "the company is saddened by what happened and is cooperating with police."
Around 1:30 a.m. on Sunday, police and paramedics were first called to the three year old doughnut shop located at 1520 East Colfax at around 1:30 a.m. Sunday after receiving a report Malouff was choking. He was pronounced dead at the scene.