There was a time when going out to the bar meant bellying up for a cold Coors Light and … not much else. Thankfully, the Denver dining has evolved enormously in the past several years, and that includes the drinking scene. More bars means more fierce competition, which turns up the creativity of bar owners.
From crow-pose in the brew pub to rock and roll bingo, foul-mouthed cross-stitch, and old school karaoke nights, the Mile High City offers plenty of activities to enhance the bar experience. Here are a few favorites:
- As if quality craft beer were not enough, many of Denver’s breweries have upped their game in the activities department. Case in point: Black Shirt Brewing hosts special events like Rock & Roll Bingo every Tuesday from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. A night of fun competition comes with $2 cans, food, and prizes worthy of a sweet guitar solo. No fee or registration required; the event’s page has more information.
- Grandma’s House is another brewery that welcomes guests with more than just great brews. From beer-friendly yoga to monthly Mario Kart tournaments, there’s something for all ages. On foul-mouthed cross-stitch Sundays, all supplies are provided free with a beer purchase. More on the Facebook page.
- Denver’s beloved Ballpark dive, Star Bar, already has a loyal following thanks to its solid beer and spirits selection, sought-after Skee-Ball games and live music on weekends. Fans flock here on Tuesday and Thursday for karaoke nights — “Summer of ‘69,” anyone? — and movies on the back patio every Wednesday night throughout the season. Visit the Facebook page for the details.
- The MCA Cafe offers a tour of the latest curated modern art exhibits downstairs and a chance for a cold one in the sleek and secluded rooftop bar. On Fridays during the summer, the bar’s B-Side rooftop music series takes over with happy hour starting at 5 p.m. and up-and-coming Colorado bands playing into the sunset. Members are free, and everyone else pays just $5. More on the MCA Denver events calendar.
- Guests put their knowledge to the test at The Rosedale during the monthly drunken spelling bees. Those eager to show off spelling (and drinking) skills go head-to-head against friends and neighbors to win prizes and earn a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T. The only catch? Gotta play with a drink-in-hand. Go to the Facebook page for the latest dates.
- Trivia is a tried and true bar pastime. Every Monday starting at 8 p.m., Blackbird will offer team trivia with $1-off drafts and $5 mules. Need something more substantial? Order a pizza and a bottle of wine for just $20. Get all the details here.
- No longer are yogis confined to an exclusive (and beer-less) yoga studio. That’s because bars, breweries, and wineries all over town are welcoming yogis of all abilities to bend, breathe, and imbibe together with brewery yoga. Après Yoga is one organization bringing the practice into breweries such as Alpine Dog Brewing Company in Denver and Upslope Brewing in Boulder. CorePower loyalists may prefer to hop over to the Great Divide Barrel Bar for their monthly Hoppy Yogis series. For the hard-core beer-loving yogi, Ratio Beerworks offers Brewery Boot Camp — a full body workout for all fitness levels, plus happy prices on beers, for just $10.